Our client is a growing privately held film plastics company in Stanley, Wisconsin.
Provides technical process expertise and support to the facility production departments through in-plant qualification of new products and processes, ensuring manufacturing process capability. Oversees and manages Quality department and systems. Supports initiatives for Continuous Improvement in the form of process safety, enhancement, troubleshooting, improvement, defect reduction, cost reduction, and trials. This position is also primarily responsible for the plant’s resin, film and technical spec formulation working closely with Plant Management in support of projects for development and commercialization of new products as well as insuring the viability and profitability of commercialized specs and film structures.
Responsibilities and Duties
1. Acts as a safety leader and puts safety first in all responsibilities.
2. Assists in Product Development by applying working knowledge of manufacturing capabilities and resin rheology to ensure design control and scale-up protocol is met at onset of any new project initiation.
3. Acts as liaison between Sales, Manufacturing, and Customers when necessary, in regards to quality expectations, performance at the customer’s facility, and manufacturing process capabilities to ensure all parties are kept well informed and regularly updated.
4. Carries out the necessary actions/steps to ensure new products conform to the Customer’s manufacturing and quality needs, and that it falls within Film Tech’s manufacturing process capabilities.
5. Communicates any issues in Customer’s manufacturing process or plant process capabilities, testing capabilities, etc. to reduce exposure through the scale-up.
6. After proper scale up is completed; is responsible for determining if the new product met the customer’s requirements and expectations, and manufacturing is satisfied with the process. If not, takes appropriate measures/steps to satisfy all parties.
7. Works with Supervisors / Managers to obtain accurate information on effective processing techniques through information systems and evaluation of production materials.
8. Initiates equipment, procedure and raw materials modifications to increase machine productivity and reduce waste.
9. Troubleshoots manufacturing operations process problems coordinating solutions using in-house resources, contractors, and vendors, as appropriate.
10. Provides leadership and direction in team-based and collaborative work environments, using cross-functional work teams, investigations, and Lean initiatives.
11. Coordinates scheduling and supplying materials between internal manufacturing functions and external customers for multiple complex and wide-ranging engineering projects that may vary in terms of scope and responsibility.
12. May train machine operators on new formulations, equipment modifications and new operating procedures to insure standard operating conditions for consistent manufacturing/processing conditions.
13. Investigates causes of ongoing process, quality, production efficiency and high waste problems. Then develops solutions using problem solving techniques.
14. Secures and maintains knowledge of current industry best practices that may apply to equipment and procedures used to produce and convert Film Tech products.
15. Facilitates/communicates status of above mentioned projects/duties to manufacturing departments.
16. Develops and commercializes new and improved products.
17. Writes/schedules/supports project trials to manufacture new products.
18. Analyzes results of lab and field trial data and makes recommendations based on trials/data.
19. Conducts field trials and writes trip reports as necessary.
20. Translates observations in the field to process and product enhancements.
Qualifications and Skills
1. Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma or related methodologies.
2. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Able to work with manufacturing personnel and operators.
3. Strong analytical and problem solving skills with working knowledge of statistical software like Mini Tab.
4. Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) software.
5. General knowledge of processes and materials used in the manufacture of flexible packaging; especially blown film extrusion up to 3 layers.
6. Must have strong time management skills to handle multiple ongoing projects and quality standards for those projects.
7. A Bachelor’s degree in Chemical engineering, polymer science, or a very closely related engineering field.
8. 5-7 years experience in a manufacturing environment.
9. Lean Manufacturing or Six Sigma certification as a Green or Black Belt and/or willingness to obtain such.
10. Industry seminars, trade shows, vendors and suppliers.
Benefits and Perks
If you are looking for a family friendly casual work environment with a competitive wage and benefits package please submit your resume.